Alcorn installs 64th Student Government Association president and cabinet

The 64th Student Government Association (SGA) President Jacquerius Howard and his cabinet were inaugurated Tuesday, Oct. 5, in the Dr. Clinton Bristow Jr. Dining Facility – Gold Room.

Members of the SGA cabinet were officially sworn in for the 2021-2022 academic year. The 95th Miss Alcorn State University, Olecia James, gave the ‘Mission and Vision’ of the SGA. Following were words of encouragement given by Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students, Dr. Natasha Hutson. The official Installation and Investiture of the SGA president and cabinet followed.

The members of the cabinet include — Howard, SGA president; Madison Gray, 1st vice president; Christopher Epps, 2nd vice president; Horace Hayes, senior class president; ShaMarri Townsend, junior class president; Vanessa Washington, sophomore class president; Kennedi Fitzgerald, freshman class president; Patrick Henderson, business manager; and Keisha Scott, secretary.

Howard expressed his gratitude for serving as SGA president.

“I have always served the student body to the best of my ability, but it’s different when you have that official title to it. I am officially the 64th Student Government Association president, and it’s just a different feeling,” said Howard.

Howard expressed his love and dedication to the University.

“I’ve loved Alcorn since I was a sophomore in high school. To make it this far in my life, and I become a spokesperson, an advocate, and represent not only the student body but the University as a whole, it makes me feel good about myself and my University.”

Howard strives to continue his platform for the remainder of the semester and academic school year.

“The main platform that I ran on was amplifying the voices of the student body. So, I didn’t go out and promise that I’d have the best homecoming, step shows, or Brave Fests, but I did promise the students that by the time that I’ve served my complete term, the voices of the students will be amplified, and they will be heard.”