Senior Glennescia Tenner talks experience as first Alcorn student selected as a Cargill Global Scholar

A student from Alcorn State University was recently the University’s first to participate in a leading agriculture agency's global scholarship program.

Glennescia Tenner, a senior majoring in agribusiness management, is the first Alcorn student to earn acceptance into the Cargill Global Scholar Program. The program, held at Cargill’s headquarters in Minneapolis, is a two-year leadership development program that provides financial support, leadership development, and one-on-one mentoring.

Scholarship recipients received an annual scholarship award of $2,500 for up to two years, and participation in two fully funded Leadership Development Seminars held during Summer 2022 and 2023. Recipients also gained opportunities to network with fellow scholars from Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, and Russia, along with one-on-one mentorship from Cargill executives in the United States and abroad.

Accomplishing this feat is a significant step in Tenner’s journey to success. She plans to use the knowledge the program has taught her to accelerate further into her potentially bright future.

“Completing this milestone is one step closer to success,” said Tenner. “This process has given me the tools to become a more confident individual. I will take this confidence and apply it to reach my goals.”

Tenner’s participation sets a precedent for future Alcorn participants in the scholarship program. She’s happy to be the torch bearer and looks forward to passing it to the next Alcorn student to gain acceptance into the program.

“Being Alcorn’s first student to participate in this program is an honor. This is a great accomplishment for me. It showed me that it was my responsibility to leave a positive impression not only for me but also for future Alcorn students that come into this program. Exemplifying knowledge and character, which is the Alcorn way, allowed them to see that Alcorn has amazing and talented students that can assist their program.”

The program offered Tenner the chance to improve essential skills she will need to become an agricultural professional.

“The program helped me to improve my leadership and networking skills. It allowed me to learn more about the company and meet mentors and staff members that can help prepare me to reach my goals in the field. This experience exposed me to people from different backgrounds, volunteer experience, and mentor programs. It also encouraged us to reach our goals and connected us to people that can help.”

Tenner advises students who may be interested in applying for the program.

“This program is a good learning opportunity. I encourage the next group of students to go in with an open mind because there’s something to learn in everything you do. The people there really want to see you succeed, so take every opportunity to network and gain connections. You never know when you might need them or who could help.”