Mashayla Dyson earns full-time USDA position after graduation

A future Alcorn State University alumna has earned a position immediately after graduation.

Mashayla Dyson, an Amite, Louisiana native who will earn a bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences during Alcorn’s Fall Commencement Saturday, Dec. 10, will be promoted to a full-time soil conservationist with the United States Department of Agriculture. Dyson’s role includes assisting soil technicians and scientists with creating conservation plans for farmers to improve their farms.

College allowed Dyson a path to pursue knowledge and her ideal career. Solidifying a job, along with graduating, is a testament to her commitment to hard work.

“Securing a job after graduation is one of the greatest feelings in the world,” said Dyson. “I came to college to further my knowledge to become the best candidate for my dream job. Alcorn allowed me to learn and accomplish my goals.”

Dyson feels excited about what lies ahead of her.

“I am excited about starting my career, especially knowing that I have the potential to level up in the company. This position is a stepping stone to reaching higher positions within the USDA. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to experience this career path.”

Because of the many job choices in agriculture, Dyson knew that the field was right for her.

“Agriculture is everywhere. The agriculture industry is always needed, and jobs are always available. I chose to major in agriculture because of the abundance of career options. Alcorn's agricultural opportunities intrigued me and made me want to learn more.”

Years of learning and agricultural experience have enhanced Dyson’s love for the field.

“I love having conversations about agriculture because it is exciting. The topic never gets old.”

Dyson is not only proud to further her career, but also, she’s proud to receive a degree from the University.

“It is with great honor that I prepare to receive my degree from Alcorn. This proves that the sky is the limit. I thank Alcorn for allowing me to achieve my goals.”