Christine Murray, a Cora S. Balmat School of Nursing student at Alcorn State University, has been offered a student nurse intern position at Merit Health Natchez.

Her passion for nursing was ignited after experiencing the loss of her uncle, and she has been dedicated to pursuing a career in healthcare ever since.

“The summer after I graduated high school, my uncle, who was more like a grandfather to me, was dying in the hospital,” said Murray. I walked in and hugged him and kissed him on the forehead, and he asked me if I was going to do all of my patients like that. My high school graduation was the last thing he saw me accomplish here on this earth. Though he may not be here physically to see me, I know that he has been watching and smiling down from heaven.”

Murray, who has been working as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) for the past decade, made the decision to further her education and become a Registered Nurse (RN). She enrolled in the nursing program at Alcorn and has had a great learning experience.

“My experience in the nursing program at Alcorn State University has been amazing,” said Murray. “I have had a very positive learning experience while here. The instructors are awesome. Dr. Sewell goes above and beyond for her students! I feel that this program is one of the best nursing programs, and it’s right here at home.”

Murray’s dedication and hard work have paid off, as she was chosen as one of the students for the student nurse internship by the faculty in the School of Nursing.

Upon receiving her offer letter from Merit Health Natchez, Murray was “beyond ecstatic.”

Dr. Shirley Evers-Manly, dean of the Cora S. Balmat School of Nursing, noted the value of hiring nursing students while they are still in school.

“After much discussion with the leaders at Merit Health, they have found value in hiring our nursing students while they are still in school. The students hired to work as student nurse interns will have a better transition from student nurse to nurse. Although we do not want our students to work while they are in nursing school, many of them must continue to work to maintain their family and household responsibilities.”

The opportunity to work as a student nurse intern aligns with her passion for nursing. Murray is excited to graduate from the RN program in May and begin her journey as a Registered Nurse.