A cover letter is a one-page document that, along with your resume, is sent with your job application. A cover letter is your chance to tell a potential employer why you’re the perfect person for the position and how your skills and expertise can add value to the company. The letter should be professional but personal, and serve as a sort of introduction of yourself to the employer.
- Create a well-written, tailored cover letter targeted to a specific job, field or organization.
- Entice the prospective employer to review your resume by highlighting major points relevant to the position you are seeking.
- Do not rehash your resume.
- Set a professional, yet engaging tone. Get to the point soon after the salutation. Be brief, pertinent, and accurate.
- Illustrate the qualifications and skills that make you unique and a good fit for the position. Avoid generic language.
- Focus on how you can contribute to the employer, not how they can help you.
- Hone your sentences so each word counts and keeps the prospective employer’s attention.