Valerie Dean selected as finalist for the 2017 Miss Mississippi Pageant

Alcorn State University’s Miss Freshman, Valerie Dean, is on a journey to capture Mississippi’s royal crown.

Valerie was selected as a finalist for the 2017 Miss Mississippi Pageant that will be held Oct. 27-29 at the Gold Strike Casino in Tunica, Mississippi. She will be representing her hometown, Greenville, Mississippi, in the contest.

Valerie is thankful for the opportunity and plans to seize the moment.

“Being selected as a 2017 Miss Mississippi Pageant contestant is, above all, a blessing,” said Valerie. “I feel overjoyed, excited, nervous, anxious and blessed to have such a great opportunity presented to me. I am ready for the road ahead.”

Becoming Miss Freshman last semester has taught Valerie some valuable lessons about leadership. She credits her current position for preparing her to pursue the Miss Mississippi crown.

“Being blessed enough to reign as Alcorn's Miss Freshman for the 2015-2016 academic school year has shaped me as a person. I have grown mentally, socially and spiritually. I have learned how to build long lasting relationships. I have learned how to be selfless for the good of everyone. I have learned to depend on my faith to lead me. Holding such a grand position as Miss Freshman has given me opportunities to expand and grow myself as a person and further represent my wonderful people.”

Valerie describes this opportunity as the chance of a lifetime. She said that she is proud to represent her hometown and Alcorn on such a big stage.

“It is a humbling experience to represent Greenville and my dear Alcorn State University on such a huge scale. I have been deemed with such a grand task and I will give nothing less than my best when pursuing the crown.”

• Valerie Dean resized.jpg