Edward Anthony starts urban planning career at Baton Rouge Planning Commission

Alcorn State University alumnus Edward Anthony is starting his career in urban and regional planning close to his home in Woodville, Mississippi.

Anthony, who earned a bachelor’s degree in geographic information systems in 2010, accepted the planner II position at Baton Rough Planning Commission in July. He is responsible for researching, formulating and modifying current planning activities while assuring compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines.

For Anthony, pursuing his career in an area where his loved ones are located is the perfect opportunity.

“For people in my hometown, Baton Rouge serves as the nearest metropolitan city,” said Anthony. “This opportunity feels like a great step because it is a launching pad for many careers. Many of my family members and friends are located in and near the area, so to start my career in the city is ideal.”

The idea of having a positive effect on a city inspires Anthony to do his best in his new capacity. He looks forward to being a key component of the city’s success.

“I am inspired by the idea of having an impact on the development of sustainable and healthy communities. I plan to work toward developing plans and programs that would accommodate population growth. I want to contribute to revitalizing the physical infrastructure in towns, cities and areas that people love to visit.”

• Edward Anthony resized.jpg