Alcorn’s Mississippi Professional Educators chapter promote early literacy at A.W. Watson

Students from the Alcorn State University Mississippi Professional Educators chapter spent Tuesday, Dec. 6 sharing their love for literacy with elementary school students.

The chapter visited A.W. Watson Elementary School in Port Gibson, Mississippi to promote early literacy by reading stories to pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students and presented them with books. Students from the chapter spent two months collecting over 150 books to disperse to the students. The chapter donated 22 books to seven classes at the elementary school.

Andrea Smith, a senior and chapter member, said that sharing that moment with the students was a great experience.

“Reading to the students was a fun experience,” said Andrea. “It was encouraging because they were so enthused about reading and listening to us read stories to them. I have a love for reading, so to see the students get excited about literacy made me very happy.”

Amber Love, also a senior and chapter member, said that the experience was good for prepping her for a career in education.

“Because I am moving closer to becoming a teacher, getting a hands-on experience with the children was a great opportunity for me,” said Amber. “Seeing the children get excited about the books made me more eager to start my teaching career.”

Dr. LaShundia Carson, director of student teaching and field experience in the Department of Education and Psychology, praised the chapter for their effort in preparing for the reading initiative.

“The students worked diligently to collect the books,” said Carson. “They read the books with so much enthusiasm, which made the children so engaged and attentive. The children were eager to participate in answering questions.”

• Reading fair pic resized.jpg