Sophomore class representatives travel to Louisiana to partake in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration

Representatives from Alcorn State University’s sophomore class spent Monday, Jan. 15 celebrating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The students traveled to Independence, Louisiana to participate in the MLK March. The students not only marched during the event, but they also took time to mentor the community’s youth.

Ivan Gray, sophomore class president, felt that the community service project was a good way to shed light on evolution and following in Dr. King’s footsteps.

“It was such an honor to mentor the young men on Dr. King day,” said Ivan. “We encouraged them to walk with a sense of purpose and expectancy to achieve.

I was excited and anxious to tell them about proper attire and college life while sharing with them ways of overcoming obstacles when they attend college.”

While participating, Ivan and his classmates couldn’t help but notice the people and their passion for positive societal change.

“The march was very inspiring and encouraging. It showed me how people in the community still care about the many issues in today’s society.”

Serving the community is Ivan’s way of paying homage to those who mentored him during his days as a youth.

“Giving back to my community is extremely important. When I was in grade school, my principle and other influential people encouraged me to be a better man spiritually, mentally and physically.”

James Durant, sophomore class advisor, is proud of the students and their dedication to serving the community.

“It was a great opportunity for Alcorn’s sophomores to participate in celebrating Dr. King and his legacy,” said Durant. “I appreciate the students’ effort to showcase the University in the best way possible.”

• Sophomore class reps resized.jpg