Timothy Queen selected to lead high school cheerleading squad in Atlanta

An Alcorn State University alumnus is on the way to fulfilling his professional destiny.

Timothy Queen, who earned a bachelor's degree in mass communications is 2005, and a master's degree in guidance education in 2012 is South Atlanta High School's new cheerleading head coach. 

Despite the struggles on the way to becoming head cheerleading coach, Queen is appreciative of the journey that led to achieving one of his goals.

"This new position is a dream of mine," said Queen, a former cheerleader for the Braves cheerleading team. "It was part of God's plan. I initially interviewed for the head coach position last year, and I didn't get the job. In November 2017, the junior varsity coach position became available, and I interviewed and got that position. Recently, the former head coach resigned, and I was granted the opportunity to be named head coach. I am extremely happy."

Queen has high hopes for the team. He looks forward to leading them to the forefront of cheer in Atlanta.

"I have high hopes of building the student morale at South Atlanta, and I would like to bring an award-winning cheer program to the high school."

As chairman of the Alcorn State University Alumni Cheerleading Association, Queen draws motivation from his position to be a mentor to young cheerleaders.

"My inspiration is to produce and mentor quality college cheerleaders and tumblers that will be able to compete with others. It has been a dream of mine to train and mentor young people."

Queen's goals include competing in local, regional, and national competitions. He also hopes to bring his team to perform at Alcorn's annual High School Day and events at other universities.