Chelcey Leahman: WPRL 91. 7's newest audio engineer

On Tuesday, Jan. 22, Alcorn’s Department of Mass Communication added a new employee to its ranks. Chelsea Leahman, a 25-year-old graduating senior, has been named WPRL 91.7's newest audio engineer. With spring graduation looming, it seems like Leahman won’t have to venture too far after she’s granted her bachelor’s degree.

“I am so excited to be graduating,” she said. “I did my time as a student. For a while now, Mr. Charles (Edmond) had been asking what I was going to do after I graduate, and I told him, but he kept asking.”

The current Brave is also a graduate of Co-Lin Community College. As a member of the Wolfpack, Leahman earned an associate degree in communications before transferring to Alcorn.

“The work ethic here at Alcorn is different,” she said. “The instructors here are a bit more engaging. They tend to get to know us on a personal level.”

As May 4 quickly approaches, Leahman envisions herself giving the world a lot of joy.

“I want to make people laugh,” she said. “I truly feel that I could be like Martin Lawerence.”

As a student of the mass communications field, Leahman believes that she has truly come a long way and though she feels satisfied, she feels that there is still room to grow.

“I evolved to my best self,” she said. “Maybe one day I could be this millennium’s Queen Latifah.”  

Hard work and consistency resulted in Leahman landing the position as an audio engineer. As for her contemporaries, co-workers and fellow classmates, Leahman advised them not to underestimate themselves.

“Know what you want to do,” she said. “Don’t get into a major because you feel it’s easy. Mass communication is for those who truly want to be in the industry of news, media, or entertainment.”