Camry Gipson, an elementary education major at Alcorn State University, is the recipient of a 2024 Linda Anglin Teacher Preparation Scholarship from the Mississippi Professional Educators (MPE).

In addition to the $500 scholarship, Camry also received a complimentary membership to MPE for her first year of teaching. 

“I would like to extend my congratulations to Ms. Gipson for being selected as one of the recipients of the 2024 Linda Anglin Scholarship,” said Dr. LaShundia Carson, dean of the School of Education and Psychology. “It truly takes a community effort to prepare and support outstanding educators, and scholarships like this one play a crucial role in enabling many of our students to successfully complete their academic programs and achieve their goals.”

Camry decided to pursue a career in education because of her various experiences in grade school that ignited her passion for the field. 

“Working in the special education field throughout high school inspired me to pursue education as my future career,” she said.

She expressed her gratitude and joy about the Linda Anglin Teacher Preparation Scholarship.

“When my achievements in education are recognized, I feel valued,” said Gipson. “In this day and age, teachers are still yearning to feel valued, so it has been very heartwarming for my work to be acknowledged.”

The Dallas, Texas native feels Alcorn has “thoroughly prepared her for a future career as an educator.”

“As I leave Alcorn, I plan to use the skills and knowledge I’ve gained to become a top educator in my field. Alcorn advisors and instructors have given me the information and experiences to be successful and prepared as I move forward in my career.”

Gipson is a member of the Collegiate 100 Women of Alcorn State University and volunteers as an academic tutor and health worker.

“I have been blessed with wonderful opportunities and experiences,” said Gipson. I am thrilled to be entering the education field. I know this journey will bring light to not only my life but also the lives of the others I will teach.”

Founded in 1979, the Mississippi Professional Educators is Mississippi’s largest and premier organization for professional educators, serving approximately 12,500 teachers, administrators, and support personnel. MPE serves members in pre-K through graduate education in both public and private institutions with the purpose of promoting better education for the children of Mississippi.  MPE offers an annual scholarship to an MPE student member from each School of Education at Mississippi’s fifteen public and private institutions of higher learning.