Graduating Senior Vincent Bonds Jr talks about upcoming nuclear career and Alcorn experience

The future is secured for Vincent Bonds Jr, a double major who will earn bachelor’s degrees in biology/pre-professional and health physics at Alcorn State University’s Spring Commencement Ceremony Saturday, May 13.

The Natchez, Mississippi native will begin his career as a radiation protection technician at Entergy’s River Bend Nuclear Generating Station in St. Francisville, Louisiana.

Through grants from Entergy, River Bend promotes tourism, after-school development, drug and alcohol awareness, and recreational opportunities in St. Francisville, West Feliciana Parish, and East Feliciana Parish. River Bend employees maintain a strong presence within the community through volunteer efforts and educating the public about nuclear energy. These opportunities range from elementary school visits and presentations to state university tours, Baton Rouge Earth Day, Girl Scout and Boy Scout Nuclear Science Days, St. Francisville Summer Fest, and National Nuclear Science Week.

Securing a post-graduation career is a testament to Bond’s dedication to excellence. He’s already looking ahead and is excited about the new things he will learn in his new job.

“It is rewarding to have a job immediately after graduation because it shows that all my hard work has paid off,” said Bonds. “I look forward to learning the different processes of the plant and gaining more knowledge and experience on working in the nuclear industry.”

Interest in the nuclear profession was passed to Bonds by his father, who established a tenured career.

“I chose the health physics field because my father has worked in the nuclear industry for over 30 years. So I’ve always been interested in the background of the work that he does.”

Alcorn has opened doors for Bonds to hone his skills and increase his knowledge. He’s grateful for the University’s ability to set students up for great futures.

“Alcorn has prepared me for my career by giving me the option to double major while also giving me access to various internships like the Los Alamos National Lab and Entergy.”

Bonds is happy about the path that awaits him after Saturday’s ceremony.

“My experience at Alcorn was great. Marching with the Sounds of Dyn-O-Mite band, performing at gamedays, and making lifelong friends and memories have been some of my favorite life experiences. Plus, I am ecstatic to graduate with two bachelor’s degrees, a full-time career, and no student loan debt.”