International inspiration: Alcorn senior Jabril Weber takes his gift of mentoring to Australia

Inspiring others to chase greatness has always been a gift for Jabril Weber, a senior at Alcorn State University. Growing up as an only child in Shreveport, Louisiana fueled his wishes of having an older sibling to go to for advice. Not having a biological brother or sister pushed Weber to help positively shape the minds of others.

“Growing up an only child, I didn’t have an older sibling to guide me in any direction,” said Weber, a psychology major. “Of course I have my parents to shine their light, but in my opinion, having an older sibling would have added a different perspective.”

Earlier in the spring 2019 semester, Weber got a chance of a lifetime; mentoring abroad.

He got the chance to spend a few weeks in Sydney, Australia motivating their youth as a part of AIME (the Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience). AIME is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide encouragement, life building skills, and positive images to at-risk youth.

The Australian experience was enlightening for Weber for several reasons. It gave him an opportunity to use his calling in an unfamiliar environment, and the journey placed him in the midst of other like-minded individuals. The trip also made him realize the issues of those living outside of his home country.

“The experience opened my eyes to the problems we face not only in America but also the world as a whole. It also was uplifting to be around so many different people that come from different cultures, but all share the same passion for mentorship.”

Mentoring the next generation has been Weber’s mission for years. He believes in seeing potential in others and helping them to expose it.

“I’ve been a mentor to others for as long as I can remember. It started in middle school when I became a summer camp counselor. Those children looked up to me like an older brother. Once I got into high school, I found myself and realized my purpose. I made it my mission to guide those who felt lost like I once did.”

Weber encourages all to take advantage of opportunities that could lead to success.

“Never wait. If you have an opportunity to be great, take it immediately. Don’t ask what if; instead, ask why not.”

After his education is complete, Weber aspires to become a licensed marriage counselor while continuing to uplift the younger generation in his community.