Hannah Miller accepted into the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program

One of Alcorn State University’s student-athletes will spend summer vacation prepping for a future in the medical field.

Hannah Miller, a junior biology/pre-med major and softball player from Kokomo, Mississippi, was accepted into the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s (UMMC) Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program in Jackson, Mississippi.

Created in 2007, the scholarship program identifies college sophomores and juniors who demonstrate the commitment and academic achievement to become well-trained rural primary care physicians in Mississippi. The program offers undergraduate academic enrichment and clinical experience in a rural setting.

Once all medical school admissions requirements are completed, the student can use the scholarship at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine or William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine. While attending medical school, each scholar may receive $30,000 per year based on available funding.

Gaining acceptance into the program is a milestone for Miller. She’s happy to have completed a goal she began pursuing a while ago.

“I felt joy for achieving this and relief because I had been trying to get into this program since my sophomore year,” said Miller. “To achieve this goal is a huge accomplishment for me.”

Miller is excited to get to know her peers and get hands-on learning in the medical field.

“I am most looking forward to meeting fellow scholarship awardees and making memories with them. I am also looking forward to learning during hands-on medical situations. I hope to learn more about myself and what kind of doctor I want to become.”

Growing up in a rural area showed Miller the importance of better healthcare for rural environments.

“Rural medical care is important to me. I’m from a rural area, so I’ve seen first-hand how limited access to healthcare hinders a community.”

Miller’s goal is to apply her learning to creating a better healthcare climate for small-populated towns while becoming an example for aspiring healthcare professionals.

“I hope to provide efficient and proper healthcare just like the quality healthcare that’s seen in more populated areas. I also want to be a role model for young women of color from small towns. I want to show that we can accomplish great things.”