Dr. Sandra L. Barnes returns to Alcorn State University as the associate provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Success.

In her new role, Barnes will establish a culture of responsiveness, student-focus, and accountability. Additionally, she will work on the ongoing success of retention and student academic success programs at Alcorn.

“The Office of Academic Affairs is proud to announce that Dr. Sandra L. Barnes has returned to Alcorn State University as associate provost of Undergraduate Education and Student Success,” said Dr. Joyce Buckner-Brown, interim provost and senior vice president of academic affairs. “Her long-standing commitment to the University has been manifested in our many partnerships while she was serving at Copiah–Lincoln Community College. Her skills and expertise will be invaluable as we tackle exciting opportunities and challenges.”

Most recently, Barnes served as vice president of the Natchez campus at Copiah-Lincoln Community College.

“I am excited to have returned to Alcorn State University in my new role as associate provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Success,” said Barnes. “I am grateful to have had the opportunity to be a student, researcher, faculty member, chairperson, and now associate provost of this great institution; therefore, I feel that I have a unique perspective of the University.”

Barnes worked in various roles at Alcorn State University, starting as assistant professor of chemistry in 2007 and progressing to professor and chairperson of the Department of Chemistry and Physics until 2019.

She earned her Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from Alcorn. She pursued further studies at the University of Kansas, completing her Ph.D. in bioanalytical chemistry. Following this, she pursued postdoctoral training in pharmaceutical chemistry at the University of Kansas from 1999 to 2001. In 2015, she received a postgraduate certificate in academic leadership from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.

Later, in 2021 and 2022, she completed the Mississippi Community College Leadership Academy.

“I believe that this is an opportunity for me to utilize my experience, knowledge, and skills to impact Alcorn State University in a positive way, and I am humbled and honored to serve my alma mater once again,” said Barnes.