Dr. Elizabeth B. Myles completes National LEAD21 Leadership Development Program

Dr. Elizabeth B. Myles, associate director of the Mississippi Small Farm and Agribusiness Center, was one of 83 professionals who completed the LEAD21 leadership development program.

Sponsored by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), LEAD21 is intended to meet the future needs for leadership development of faculty, specialists, program and team leaders, research station and center directors, district and regional directors, department heads and chairs, and others in land grant universities' colleges of agricultural, environmental, and human sciences. According to its website, the program's primary purpose is to develop leaders who link research, academics, and extension to lead more effectively in their current or future positions. 

"This program has enhanced my leadership skills and knowledge," said Myles, who served as a Class 17 participant. "It revealed my strengths and areas that I need to improve. I gained additional information on the land-grant systems, nine leadership competencies, and strategic plan development. I am humbled to have the opportunity to network with colleagues from across the country. This was a rewarding and enriching experience." 

Myles's work has focused on marketing research aimed at increasing market opportunities for small, limited resource farmers in Mississippi. She looks forward to building a winning team to improve their leadership capacity and find more creative ways to contribute to Alcorn State University and its various stakeholders. 

To learn more about LEAD21, visit www.lead-21.org.