Where Knowledge and Character Matter ®

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my exit examination results from CORE/AREA exam previously taken?

Scores for the CORE/AREA exam are sent through the mail to the address that was put on the exit examination application. Students should give two weeks from test date for exams to be reviewed and graded.

Can I obtain a master's degree attending summers only?

Yes, it is possible to attend only in the summer and obtain a master's degree. This only applies at the master's degree level.

In which subject areas does the Education Dept. offer teacher education programs?

The Department of Education and Psychology administers a curriculum for undergraduate majors in Elementary Education, General Studies, and Psychology. Additionally, the department offers courses for secondary teacher education majors that will meet the state requirements for certification in the various teaching areas on the secondary levels.

How long will my teacher education program take?

Undergraduates should consult a teacher education advisor as soon as they decide to pursue teacher education. The education degree & certification at Alcorn State University are designed to be completed within the four-year program but there are certification requirements which must be completed during the four year time period.

How many hours are required for the Elementary Education Degree?

The Degree in Elementary Education requires a total of 124 Credit Hours of approved course work in order to receive at the Bachelor's level.

Can I obtain a concentration in another area?

Yes, All students majoring in Elementary Education may obtain a concentration in nursery, mathematics, social studies, language arts, reading, etc. by successfully completing 21 additional hours.

How do I find my advisor?

To find out who your advisor is, students should see the Advisement page, located under the Department of Education and Psychology tab to the right.