Degree – Master of Arts in History, MAH
Description of Program
The Master of Arts in History online degree program intends to provide both depth and breadth of study in history. Experiences in the graduate program equip students with the tools and training necessary to produce literary scholarship of professional quality and to participate in the ongoing academic discussions of issues and research in the fields of history.
- Provide a level of instruction for potential learner that will enable them to produce self-directed persons who are capable of making healthy life choices.
- Provide student learners with a deeper level of history skills and understanding.
- Provide student learners with an increased knowledge and skill in the area of History.
Students applying for entrance to the Master of Arts in History are required to submit an application for admission, Apply Online (www.alcorn.edu/academics/graduate-studies).
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 for regular admission and 2.5 for conditional admission at the undergraduate level.
- Two letters of recommendation from references sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies.
- A personal statement of no more than 750 words explaining qualifications for this concentration area and career goals after completing the degree
- Official transcript from an accredited school (if a student has attended more than one school, transcripts must be submitted from all schools attended). At least one transcript must document the student has a bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Some departments have additional requirements students must meet for admission
Decisions are made only after receipt of all credentials by the department’s admission committee. Each department uses an admission formula to accept students. The entire application packet, including all supporting materials, must be submitted to the Graduate School. Official test scores must be submitted from Education Testing Service (ETS) and must not be older than five years, official transcripts from the sending school, and Credential Evaluations (International students) from an approved Credential Evaluation Service.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is the official standardized test required for admission to the Master of Arts in History. WAIVED
The curriculum for the Master of Arts in History requires 33 credit hours of coursework and a capstone project for degree completion. An oral defense of the capstone is required for progression to degree completion.
Graduation expectations require the following:
- A minimum of 27 credit hours of graduate instruction must be completed in residence at Alcorn State University
- Earn no more than two Cs in coursework
- Write an acceptable capstone and defend it orally
- Official transcripts on file for all transfer credits accepted by the University
Academic advisors are allowed to accept up to six semester credit hours earned at an accredited university with a grade of “B” or higher for graduate coursework completed. Substitutions of coursework are allowed with the approval of an advisor and department administrators up to nine hours if the substitution(s) meet curriculum requirements.
See Transfer of Credits Policy for additional information.
See the Substitution of Courses Policy for additional information.
Academic Track: Capstone Project
The Capstone Project is an exit requirement for the Master of Arts in History. The department has specific expectations for selection of topics and the type of capstone project. Students pursue independent research on a question or problem of their choice in the relevant disciplines under the guidance of a graduate faculty to produce a paper that reflects understanding of the topic and in the respective discipline.
Master Degree Audit:
Before candidacy for graduation can be confirmed, each student progression to degree completion will be evaluated to determine if student has met all academic requirements for course work and other aspects of the student’s course of study and Graduate School requirements. When these requirements are met, the student is cleared for graduation.
Time to Degree Completion
Alcorn’s time to degree completion policy allows 6 years to complete the Master of Arts in History program. Degree completion depends on the pace a student completes the curriculum. If the time exceeds six years, the student must petition the Graduate School to consider an appeal for more time to degree completion.
See the Student Academic Appeals Policy for Expiration of Timeline for additional requirements
Degree Plan and Course Sequence
The Master of Arts in History follows the prescribed curriculum for completion of 33 hours of coursework.
Core Courses (6 Hours)
HI 501 Historiography
HI 509 Historical Methods
Required Courses (18 Hours)
HI 502 Global World Studies
HI 503 Colonial American History
HI 504 History of the Middle East
HI 505 African American Internationalism
HI 506 Afro-American History
HI 507 History of the African Diaspora
Interdisciplinary Electives (9 Hours)
CJ 507 Advanced Budgeting & Financial Management
CJ Advanced Judicial Process and Policy Making
GT 501 Advanced Constitutional Law
GT 503 Advanced Public Administration
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Renardo Murray ▪ 601.877.6264 ▪ [email protected] (Department of Social Sciences)