Degree – Master of Science in Secondary Education, MSEd
Concentration: Athletic Administration and Coaching (Teaching)
Description of Program
The Master of Science in Secondary Education (MSEd) degree program offers an endorsements in 14 areas. Graduates are prepared for advanced preparation to serve as teachers or practitioners in various educational capacities. The endorsement in Athletic Administration and Coaching (Teaching) focuses on a curriculum that requires graduates to engage in a profound, comprehensive exploration, examination, and study of the various administrative and coaching models, theories, approaches, techniques, and methodologies for their effective management, administration, and leadership of an athletic and/or sport programs on any athletic hierarchy.
- Acquire comprehensive, diverse, relevant, and holistic managerial and operational knowledge and skills of athletic administration and coaching
- Use different instructional strategies and techniques associated with athletic administration and coaching
- Engage in opportunities to learn various research theories and execute the most contemporary research approaches and applications supporting athletic administration and coaching
- Demonstrate competency and expertise in athletic administration and coaching, ranging from K-12, the collegiate level, the private sector, and/or beyond
- Participate in disciplinary experiences that teaches techniques to maximize both the athletic and academic performance of student athletes by linking both teaching and methodological strategies, technology, measurement and evaluation, and /or research with the overall disciplinary knowledge bases underlying athletic administration and coaching
Students applying for entrance to the Master of Science in Secondary Education in Athletic Administration and Coaching (Teaching) are required to submit an application for admission, Apply Online (www.alcorn.edu/academics/graduate-studies).
- Educator License
- two letters of recommendation
- official transcript from an accredited school (if a student has attended more than one school, transcripts must be submitted from all schools attended). At least one transcript must document the student has a bachelor’s degree.
- Immunization record
Decisions are made only after receipt of all credentials by the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation admission committee. The department uses an admission formula to accept students. The entire application packet, including all supporting materials, must be submitted to the Graduate School.
A Standard Educator License is required for admission to the Master of Science in Secondary Education in Athletic Administration and Coaching (Teaching) program.
The curriculum for the Master of Science in Secondary Education in Athletic Administration and Coaching (Teaching) requires 33 credit hours of coursework and passing required exit exams for degree completion. Students complete 12 hours of required core credits, 15 hours of required courses, and 6 hours of electives.
Graduation expectations require the following:
- A minimum of 27 credit hours of graduate instruction must be completed in residence at Alcorn State University
- Earn no more than two Cs in coursework
- Successfully pass the Core Exit Exam
- Successfully pass the Area Exit Exam according to content area
- Official transcripts on file for all transfer credits accepted by the University
Academic advisors are allowed to accept up to six semester credit hours earned at an accredited university with a grade of “B” or higher for graduate coursework completed. Substitutions of coursework are allowed with the approval of an advisor and department administrators up to nine hours if the substitution(s) meet curriculum requirements.
Academic Track: Exit Exams
Students pursuing a Master of Science in Secondary Education must pass a Core Examination and Area Examination to exit.
Master Degree Audit:
Before candidacy for graduation can be confirmed, each student progression to degree completion will be evaluated to determine if student has met all academic requirements for course work and other aspects of the student’s course of study and Graduate School requirements. When these requirements are met, the student is cleared for graduation.
Time to Degree Completion
Alcorn’s time to degree completion policy allows 6 years to complete the athletic administration and Coaching non-teaching program. Degree completion depends on the pace a student completes the curriculum. If the time exceeds six years, the student must petition the Graduate School to consider an appeal for more time to degree completion.
See the Student Academic Appeals Policy for Expiration of Timeline for additional requirements
Degree Plan and Course Sequence
Core Education Courses (12 Hours)
ED 512 Foundations of American Education
ED 514 Methods of Educational Research
ED 533 Curriculum Development
PE 539 Foundation & Principles of PE & Sport
PH 513 Advanced Educational Psychology
Required Courses (15 Hours)
PE 510 Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
PE 511 Psychology of Sports
PE 516 Management in Physical Education & Sports
PE 521 Scientific Principles of Coaching
PE 545 Trends, Issues, Challenges in Athletics/Sports
Electives (6 Hours)
PE 527 Measurement and Evaluation of Physical Education
PE 540 Independent Research
PE 541 Sociology of Sports
PE 543 Philosophy of Sports
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Johnny Thomas ▪ 601.877.6506 ▪ [email protected] (Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation)