MS Office for Students
Microsoft Office 2016 and Office 365 are now available for all current students at Alcorn State University... for free! Microsoft Office 2016 is the latest version of the popular and powerful family of software including Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, and more.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a new version of Microsoft Office that works online; this means that, once you register, you will have the ability to access special, online versions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel from any computer with an Internet connection.
How long do I get to keep my Office 365 account?
Your University Office 365 account will work for as long as you're either an active student or active employee of the University. More specifically:
- If you're a University student (and not a University employee), your account will deactivate about a few weeks after you graduate or withdraw from the University.
- If you're a University employee (and not a University student), your account will deactivate about a few weeks after you graduate or withdraw from the University.
- If you're both a student and a University employee, your account will deactivate about a few weeks after you are both no longer a student and no longer an employee.
How do I get my copy of Office?
Preparing to Get Office
Before getting your copy of Office, make sure to prepare your computer by doing the three steps below:
- Get Access to Your Alcorn Email Account - You need to make sure you have access to your Alcorn Student Email account. If you don't have access to your Alcorn Student Email account, you can call 601-877-6182 or visit Room 316 in the Administration Building on the Lorman campus for assistance. Alternatively, you can learn how to activate your Alcorn Student Email Account by www.alcorn.edu/getaccount
- Remove All Other Copies of Microsoft Office - Make sure you get rid of any other copies of Microsoft Office on your computer before installing your University copy, including previous versions of Office and trial versions of Office.
- Log In - The username for your Office 365 account is your full Alcorn student email address (example: email@example.com), and the password is the exact same password that you use for your Alcorn Student Email account.
Getting Office on Your Computer
- Go to the Alcorn State website at www.alcorn.edu
- In the upper-right corner, move your mouse over where it says STUDENTS in the tiny purple bar. In the gray menu that pops out, click on Office 365.
- On the next page that appears, enter your Alcorn Account information (your Alcorn Email address and password to your Alcorn Email account).
- On the main Office portal page to the right click on the install button and an dropdown will appear. in that dropdown, click on Office 365 apps and follow the prompts on your computer to download and install Office.
- After installing Office on your computer, to activate your Alcorn license, enter your Alcorn information when prompted. If not prompted, open any Office application (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) and click on where it says Sign In in the upper-right corner and enter your Alcorn Account information as needed.
Forgot your password?
If you forget the password for your Office 365 account, you can give us a call at 601-877-6182, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit Room 316 in the Administration Building on the Lorman campus for assistance.