The following resources are designed to help advisors work successfully with students as they progress through their degree programs.

Curriculum Alerts

Courses at Other Institutions

Students in attendance in graduate school at Alcorn State University who wish to take courses at another accredited institution may do so providing they have obtained permission from the academic advisor, the chair of the appropriate department, or the school dean. A limit of six credit hours is eligible for transfer within time-to-degree completion rules. Students must earn a B or higher in the course. An official transcript from the sponsoring institution must be submitted. The remaining credit hours in a degree program must be earned at Alcorn.

Evaluating and Awarding Academic Credit

Course credits earned outside the university follow a prescribed process for reviewing before academic credit is awarded. Up to six (6) semester hours of graduate courses taken at other institutions are eligible for transfer to ASU with the approval of the academic advisor to Alcorn State University. The grades must be A or B to be considered for transfer. A credit hour represents approximately three hours of work per week. Application for transfer is made by the student by completing the “Transfer of Course” form, and is approved by the advisor and chair of the department. This request is submitted for approval to the Graduate School Administrator. Upon approval they are credited to the student’s official transcript. The advisor and graduate studies administrator ensure academic quality of course credits are consistent with the university’s procedures in awarding academic credits by evaluating the course description(s).The course content must be deemed equivalent in content and rigor to the ASU course replaced in the degree plan. Quick Reference Guide
A reference manual is available to guide navigation through the graduate electronic platform for advising. Th document covers general processes, Degree Plans, Graduation Checklist, Degree Audits, Substitutions, Transfer of Credits, etc.

Substitution of Credits
Substitutions are initiated by the student’s academic advisor in

Transfer of Credits
Transfer of Credits is a collaborative agreement between the advisor and student of graduate level courses that can be transferred to Alcorn from another university. A maximum of six (6) hours are allowable and no grade lower than B and be approved.

First Master’s to Second Master’s Degree

Students pursuing a second master’s may use coursework from the first master’s degree based on the curriculum and advisor’s approval. A maximum of nine (9) hours are allowable. If requested coursework exceeds the six-year time limit, the student must submit an appeal to request approval. Six-year time limits are not automatically approved.

Thesis/Research Project Submission Calendar
Published dates are communicated each term to inform advisors and students of deadlines to submit the thesis or research project to the Graduate Office for review and final approval.

Thesis/Research Project Manual
A research guide is provided to give guidance to thesis and research project committees in advising students. It also serves as a quick reference guide to APA requirements for students to style their manuscripts.

Writing Proficiency Report
This official form must be submitted to the Graduate Office following a student’s completion of the department’s writing requirement. Students must earn a letter grade of B or higher in the required course to be considered proficient.