Welcome to the Mississippi River Research Center! The Mississippi River Research Center (MRRC) in the School of Agriculture, Research, and Applied Sciences at Alcorn State University was created in the mid-1990’s to combine and integrate research, teaching, and outreach in agriculture, applied sciences, environmental studies, advanced technologies, and human sciences. The MRRC mission is to advance knowledge of preservation, conservation, and improvement of water quality while balancing economic and environmental impact. The MRRC provides capabilities in sustainable watershed management, soil & water quality laboratory analysis, and watershed assessment & modeling.
Download/View the Mississippi River Research Center Brochure
Short Term Vision
- To develop science-based information, analytical tools, and decision support systems to enhance conservation of agricultural ecosystems and the environment along the Mississippi River corridor.
- To lead and enhance the Environmental Science program offered through the School of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.
- To identify and evaluate nutrient management strategies best suited for small scale, low income agricultural production.
- To develop collaborative relationships with other organizations such as Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) the United States Department of Agriculture, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- To establish a network of affiliates focused on large river research.
- To identify state and federal funding opportunities.
- To develop outreach for students and general public in the field of environmental science .
- Provide academic and research opportunities for minority groups in agriculture, science, and technology.
Long Term Vision
- To evolve the MRRC into a nationally and internationally recognized research center using innovative science to better understand and manage sustainable watershed systems.
- To establish international partnerships (China, India, Africa, Latin America) supported by USAID, UNESCO, World Bank.
- To increase the visibility and importance of the MRRC through effective technology transfer initiatives.
- To foster innovative nutrient management strategies for small and limited resources farmers.
- To educate students in sustainable development.
- To create a Master’s degree in Environmental Science.
The MRRC works closely with many different organizations including:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- U.S. Corps of Engineers
- Mississippi Water Resources Research Institute
- Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality
- Mississippi State University
- Northern Gulf Institute
- Mississippi Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
- Alliance for Sustainable Agricultural Production Farm