ACT English Sub-Test Scores Eligibility
Less than 17 EN 105
17 or Higher EN 111
ACT Math Sub-Test Scores Eligibility
Less than 17 MA 122
17 to 20 MA 121
21 to 23 MA 135*
24 or higher MA 181*

* Special mathematics placement for students majoring in chemistry, mathematics, computer science and pre-engineering.

SAT Placement Test Scores Eligibility
Below 390 in English EN 105
390 and above in English EN 111
Below 390 in Mathematics MA 122
390 and above in Mathematics MA 121
ACCUPLACER (Over 21 Placement Test Scores)
255 and above in English EN 111
254 and below in English EN 111 and EN 111A
255 and above in Math MA 121
254 and below in Math MA 122

Students can also earn college credits via International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or by passing the Advanced Placement College Board Test (AP) for a variety of subjects. The passing score for the AP Test is 3 or higher. Students who score 4 or higher may earn 6 credit hours in English only. First-time students also may have some dual enrollment college credits. Their college transcript must be at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and only grade of “C” or above may be acceptable. Transcript(s) must be reviewed by the Office of Student Records for acceptability.

Students enrolled in two or more intermediate courses must enroll in GC 102 and not UL 101.

Honors Placement Eligibility

Scholarship ACT composite scores range from 22 and above, and SAT composite scores range from 1090 and above with a high school cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Access the Alcorn State University home page and click the sub-header Admissions to see the Admissions Scholarship Requirements. Scholarships are also available for Valedictorian and Salutatorian scholars. Honors courses are available in English I and II, General Biology I and II, General Psychology, World History I and II, General Chemistry I and II, and HO 291 Sophomore Honors Colloquium and HO 292 Junior Honors Colloquium. Other courses can be enhanced with an Honors Enhancement Form. The student can request this form from his or her University College Academic Advisor or from the Honors Office to give to his or her instructor to complete.