BS in Computer Science
This major requires 120 credit hours of courses in computer science and mathematics.
Click here for program sheet (all course list) (click here)
This program offers main courses:
- Programming Languages (C++, Java, Python, etc.)
- Data Structure and Algorithms
- Database Management
- Software Engineering
- Web Application and E-Commerce
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Computer Networks
- Computer Cyber Security
Upon successful completion of a BS degree program in Computer Science at Alcorn State University, students will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the program’s student outcomes and to the discipline.
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society.
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice..
- An ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
- An ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity.
Student Scholarship Information
- President's Excellence Scholarship
- Provost Scholar Scholarship
- University Scholar Scholarship
- Mississippi Community College Transfer Graduates Scholarship
For above scholarships, please visit Admissions/scholarship requirements website on the ASU main website
- C-Spire scholarship
- NASA scholarship
- University Math Center Teaching Assistance positions
For the scholarships, please contact Dr. Ping Zhang, Chair of Mathematics and Computer Science, Alcorn State university, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 601-877-6430