BS in Computer Science
This major requires 120 credit hours of courses in computer science and mathematics.
Click here for Curriculum Program (all course list) (click here)
Click here for Program Education Objectives (PEO's) and Student Outcomes (SO's) (click here)
This program offers main courses:
- Programming Languages (C++, Java, Python, etc.)
- Data Structure and Algorithms
- Database Management
- Software Engineering
- Web Application and E-Commerce
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Computer Networks
- Computer Cyber Security
Upon successful completion of a BS degree program in Computer Science at Alcorn State University, students will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the program’s student outcomes and to the discipline.
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society.
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice..
- An ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
- An ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity.
Student Scholarship Information
- President's Excellence Scholarship
- Provost Scholar Scholarship
- University Scholar Scholarship
- Mississippi Community College Transfer Graduates Scholarship
For above scholarships, please visit Admissions/scholarship requirements website on the ASU main website
- C-Spire scholarship
- NASA scholarship
- University Math Center Teaching Assistance positions
For the scholarships, please contact Dr. Ping Zhang, Chair of Mathematics and Computer Science, Alcorn State university, email: email@example.com; phone: 601-877-6430